Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bluebery Pie!

So I am excited. I am going to try pie today! I have always been affraid of pie making. I have made pies before. The ones with a graham crust. Those are easy. But today I tackle pie dough. Well I chose to start with an easy recipe. Then I will move on to actually having to roll out dough. Doing 2 crusts and doing fancy top crusts. But for now I will do the easy crust and a crumb topping. My mom tells me that a crumb topping has less calories then a pie dough does. That is a positive thing. Also I prefer the crumb topping. I think it tastes better. So today I will be using these 2 cookbooks. The first one is Cooking from Quilt Country. A fabulous Amish cookbook. I love it. By: Maracia Adams


This is where I get my pie dough from. Then I will be using another favourite. Better Homes and Gardens Pies and Cakes. Where I will get my fillling from. My mom uses this cookbook all the time. She has had her copy for a long time. I think hers is falling apart. My mom swears by it. (she doesn't literaly swear though. Not my mom.) I found my copy a few years back at an antique sale. If you like pie and cake baking this is a must have.

So I will now give you my recipes. I don't normally give out recipes if I have never made them before first. But as I know these are both fabulous cookbooks then I will.

Pat in Pan Pie Crust

Makes Pastry for a single-crust 8- or 9-inch pie


11/2 cups plus 3 tablespoons all -purpose flour
11/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cold milk

Place the flour, sugar, and salt in the pie pan and mix with  your fingers until blended. In a measuring cup, combine the oil and milk and beat with a fork until creamy. Pour all at once over the flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the flour mixture is completely moistened. Pat the dough with your fingers, first up the sides of the plate, then across the bottom. Flute the edges. Shell is now ready to be filled. If you are preparing a shell to fill later, or your recipe requires a prebaked crust, preheat the oven to 425o F. Prick the surface of the pastry with a fork and bake 15 minutes, checking often, and pricking more if needed. Variation: For a 10~inch shell, use2 cups all-purpose flour; 2 teaspoons sugar;1 teaspoon salt; 2/3 cup vegetable oil; 3tablespoons milk.

Blueberry Pie

Prepare pastry for 2 crust 9-inch pie and line pie plate with pastry. Combine 4 cups fresh blueberries with 3/4 to 1 cup sugar, 3tablespoons all-purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel,dash salt, and if desired, 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg. Fill pie shell. Drizle with 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice; dot with 1 tablespoon butter. Cut slits; adjust top crust; seal. Bake at 400o for 35 to 40 minutes.

So off I go. Those who are coming to my Close to my Heart party tonight will get to taste the pie. All others you will just get to look at the picture. Which also will be nice. Or maybe it will inspire you to make your own pie? Please if my blogs inspire you in any way I would love to hear about it. Blessings to you all.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your recipe for this crust! I am going to try it. I don't bake pies often (usually only in fall) and I actually have some frozen unbaked ones from last fall...hmmmm, wonder how that'll turn out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angela glad you found the recipe. It is so easy no fail pie crust. Let me know how it goes for you. Yeah I don't know how long pie dough last in the freezer. But hey if it looks good go for it. What kind of pie are you making?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to make a pumpkin pie this weekend...probably a chocolate pie (from a mix) too.

    ReplyDelete