Friday, February 12, 2010

Cupcake Craziness!

So valentines is here and that means time to make valentines treats. So I asked my kids what would you like to make as a treat to give friends for valentines. They both said cupcakes. As my daughter got a recipe box filled with only cupcake recipes for Christmas, I knew we would be making ones from there. So we picked to make Boston Cream cupcakes and Sweetheart cupcakes. Both I was a little nervous with  as parts of the recipe I was not sure how it would work. The Boston Cream ones required a yellow cake to be made. Also it needed a vanilla pudding and chocolate frosting. So once all the components were assembled I got to work putting them together. The recipe said to stick a hole in the bottom of the cupcake and put your pipping bag with pudding in it into the cupcake and fill. Fill? How much? Could I fill it too much and have it burst? Would I know when it was filled? Do you know a cupcake can hold a lot of pudding? You may be wondering, but with a hole in it won't the filling come out? No very little did come out. A drop or two out of a few of them. But they turned out good. Kids tried them today and said they were great! I wondered if I had over baked the cupcakes but the kids did not notice. I am more picky about these things. Then we also made Sweetheart cupcakes and they turned out nothing like the picture. What you were to do was bake a chocolate cake and make a white icing that you added some raspberry jam to to turn it pink. Again I think I baked the cupcakes too long. Oh well what can I do now? So once the cupcakes were cooled you slice off the top and cut a heart shape out of the middle of it. Put a heaping of icing on top of the bottom of the cupcake and place the top on. The icing will fill the heart up and it looks really pretty. According to the picture. Well I could not get the cookie cutter part to work. Either my cookie cutter was to small or too big. The tops just fell apart or did not look right. Oi! Well I said forget that. I just iced the tops and they turned out fine. Just different. Tasted great. I really liked the icing with the raspberry jam in it. I would do that again. So do you celebrate valentines day? What a great time to tell the special people in your life what they mean to you. Yeah over here in North America we have commercialized it. But despite all that I think its a day to remind us to tell the people in our lives we love them. Sometimes we forget to do that and this just reminds us.

No comments:

Post a Comment