Thursday, June 17, 2010

Desserts coming out of my ears!

So you have probably wondered what I have been up to lately. Well just your regular baking. Cookies and the like. But lately we have had a birthday in our family. My son turned 7! So we had planned a camping party. So I went to work on making a camping cake. Look at many designs on line and came up with my own. Here is what it looked like. It turned out really good.
 Then today I made a Black Forest Trifle. If you have never had one you must. If you like black forest cake that is. I made my trifle with chocolate Guinness cake, whipped cream, vanilla pudding, cherry pie filling and dark chocolate shavings. I did my layers in this order. Chocolate cake, pudding, cherry pie filling, then whipped cream. Ended with whipped cream and chocolate shavings on top. I can't wait to eat it. I also made my vanilla pudding from scratch. I think it tastes better then instant and is so easy to make. Any one can do it. Here is the recipe I used.
Vanilla Pudding
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/8 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp vanilla
1. Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in 2 quart saucepan. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over mdeium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils Boil and stir 1 minute.
2. Gradually stir at least half of the hot mixture into the egg yolk; stir back into hot mixture in saucepan. Boil and stir 1 minute; remove from heat. stir in butter and vanilla.
3. Pour pudding into dessert dishes or bowl. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Refrigerate any remaining dessert. Like there is going to be. LOL
Tip: take plastic wrap and lay it on the pudding sealing it completely to cover. That way you wont get an icky film developing on the pudding.
 Then when checking out the blogs that I follow I found this yummy sounding dessert I have not tried before and just had to. So when my husband got back from work yesterday he went off to the store for me and bought ice cream. How can Ben say no to more dessert. Here is the link to the original idea. Found at joy the baker Ice cream cupcakes. Does that not sound sooo good! I am in the process of making them. I can't wait to try one. But tomorrow as I am eating trifle today. What I did was bake brownie bottom and put drumstick ice cream in the middle I did not know they made drumstick ice cream. Its vanilla ice cream with waffle cone bits covered in chocolate. Then I made a ganache to put on top. Here they are in stages. You must try this. Again so easy your kids will love you. Or that special someone. I think its the kind of dessert that gets you anything  you  want. Well maybe its not that good. But give it a try and find out.
 Oh and after all this dessert crazyness it does not stop. I am having my 40th birthday party on Saturday! So more cake making and eating. Oi! Stay tuned for what I make next.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, DK :D You were so sweet to post on Curtis's page that I had to come over here. Oh, wow, then I saw this fabulous dessert staring me in the face. I'm done for. LOVE IT. I'm now a follower as you'll see and I'll be back soon to read and read and read.

    ReplyDelete